Sunday, June 1, 2008

Excerpt from the play ALYCE TIMES ONE


This play is now complete, in third draft form, entered in a contest, and waiting for the first public reading in August. This is the first play I have co-written, with Julie Morrison. I’ve chosen this section for you to read, for two reasons. First, we worked about equally here, but I don’t think you can tell where one of us stopped and the other began. The second reason I chose this segment is because I like it. Here is almost the end of the play – Alyce learns she has joined her dead husband. Sounds morbid, I know, but … read for yourself. (By the way, it’s Alyce (Al-LEASE), not Alice. Say it wrong and Julie won’t correct you … but she will give you a look that would melt marble.)


ALYCE: Maybe you’re just hopeless. What are you smiling about?

JACK: You.

ALYCE: I don’t want anybody stealing our stuff.

JACK: Why? It’s just stuff. What are ya gonna do with it?

ALYCE: EH. … you take all the fun out of it.

JACK: Tell me something.

ALYCE: What?

JACK: Did you ever tell me your dreams?

ALYCE: I’m impressed. You WERE listening.

JACK; You don’t remember.

ALYCE: I only remember the last one, at a diner in Kansas City ... I was a waitress and he was a cute customer. He asked me out then disappeared. He did leave a honking huge tip, though. I told myself, If I ever see that guy again, I will treat him right and never let go. I starting dreaming that he'd come back to get me ...

JACK: A shame I got there first.

ALYCE: That WAS you, coconut head.

JACK: Oh.

ALYCE: Don’t tarnish one of my better memories of you.

JACK; Wouldn’t think of it. I love you.

ALYCE: What?

JACK: You heard me.

ALYCE: I just haven’t heard you say it like that in such a long time. I love you, too.

(ALYCE and JACK kiss.)

Wow, you still haven’t lost it… What do we do now?

JACK: What did you have in mind?

ALYCE: I don’t know. You’ve been here longer than I have. Don’t we walk into the light or something? And stop grinning at me.

JACK: Don't tarnish some of the best memories I have of us. Walk into the light if you want to. Personally I’m going to ride. I’ve got the Maserati parked downstairs.

(JACK jangles keys in front of ALYCE.)

ALYCE: You’re kidding. They let you drive?

JACK: What? One accident and they never let you forget. If you’re nice, I’ll let you drive, maybe.

ALYCE: Oh yeah? I’m a better driver than you are.

JACK: Whoever told you that?

ALYCE: You did.

JACK: Must have been a weak moment.

ALYCE: You didn’t think so at the time.

No comments: