Thursday, August 25, 2011

25 Thinks You May Not Know About Me

  1. I’m doing this under duress. I prefer being a more private person.
  2. The vast majority of my friends are involved in the Arts. Talented people allow me to breathe.
  3. My youngest friend is 14. My oldest friend is dead.
  4. I avoid other people who are Mensa (with a few exceptions). They are not nearly as provocative or interesting as they think they are (with a few exceptions.)
  5. I consider myself a gypsy. I’ve already stayed far too long in one place.
  6. My hobbies are horseback riding, sailing, and fencing. And I used to be damn good at two of ‘em.
  7. I’m learning that true intimacy with a few people may not be such a useless practice after all.
  8.  I’m running out of things to say already.
  9. I firmly believe that children should be seen and not often.
  10. I think marriage is a wonderful state. But I feel the same way about Nebraska, so what do I know?
  11. My favorite author is Dorothy Parker. She and Darth Vader could have been bff.
  12. I’ve always been a Feminist. There was a time when that meant something.
  13. I never wear socks; only wear shoes when I’m out in public. (I don’t think that has anything to do with being a Feminist, but if they ever need a sock burning, I'm there.)
  14. I like rum an’ coke, Greek salad, baked potatoes, and a really good steak – my favorite meal. But I’m open to new experiences. (Sam? Are you getting this?)
  15. I am at my most creative between three-thirty and five in the morning. I have idly wondered why that is so.
  16. I bore my dog to sleep on a regular basis, but he loves me anyway.
  17. I appreciate having friends in Canada and Europe. They give me a more balanced perspective on where I live … and where they live. I wish I had a friend in Russia. Or Nebraska.
  18. I just got SKYPE – yesterday held a video conversation on my computer. This is absolutely positively the best toy ever!
  19. I used to write plays because I thought I had something to say. I was wrong, but that realization has never slowed me down. (Nor anybody else.)
  20. I used to be a Republican. Then I became a Democrat. Now I’m looking wistfully toward limited monarchy. Come on, people – there’s gotta be SOMETHING out there that works!
  21. My ancestors were German and American Indian. They fought a lot – often against each other. Still do. Early on they worked as whalers, mule skinners, and educators. I’m the black sheep in the family.
  22. My favorite composers are Sergei Rachmaninoff, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Paul Simon, Scott Joplin, and George Gershwin. I plan to invite them over for lunch on Tuesday.
  23. Some of my friends are gay. Some of my friends are not. Most of the time we get along just fine.
  24. I've done almost everything in life that I've wanted to do, and I think not too many people can say that.
  25. And then there is you, managing to hang in through all my ranting, highs and lows. Thank you – you are pretty cool. And appreciated.

Okay. There. I did it. Your turn.

j.

3 comments:

Views from Malmesbury said...

Mensa eh? I'll have to mind my p's and q's in my comments from now on!

Jack Petersen said...

Yeah, well, I rarely mention it and exactly for that reason.

So ... where's your list?

(Mine is three degrees to port ...)

Views from Malmesbury said...

Top of my list is likely to be very similar the top of your list - I can be very British in my reticence. Not sure I can come up with 25 things that won't send readers to sleep but I'll give it some thought.