Tuesday, May 10, 2011

ZACK, part 2

The play opens this Friday. Dialogue is heavy into character building. I'm beginning to have a greater respect for the playwright - the humor manages to be subtle and broad at the same time.

I've Americanized the work in that I'm not having the cast speak with a British accent (which we do badly). The costuming reflects an American perception of British dress, rather than an attempt to be realistic. This became painfully obvious when I stumbled across the London cast picture, above, and compared it to our own, below.



j

1 comment:

Views from Malmesbury said...

Goodness, that seems to have come round quickly. I've finally got round to looking up Zack, as I'd never heard of it. I had, of course, heard of Hobson's Choice. If Harold Brighouse made as good a job of Zack as he made of Hobson's Choice then it should make for a very good evening indeed. Good idea Americanising it, I always cringe when I hear a poor English imitation of an American accent and it pulls attention away from the actual production. I haven't been able to find out much about Zack but one review from Manchester said 'funny, charming and perceptive tale about the things that make life worth living and how love can flower in unexpected places'. Sounds good to me! Hmm, I think I'll go look out our recordings of the Hobson's Choice film, and the ballet, might just be a cue for a cosy night in front of the little screen this weekend. I look forward to hearing how it's received.