Monday, August 25, 2008

Expose Yourself To Art



… with apologies to Julie Morrison.


Whenever I hear the term “Expose Yourself To Art,” I think of the above photograph. It was taken in or about the early 1980’s, and at the time I thought it was clever.

I would have likely forgotten the picure, but later I learned that the man in the photo was the mayor of Portland, Oregon, and he was promoting a local arts festival. (I admired his creative imagination. I admired his dedication. At the same time, I wondered if he was re-elected.)

Did the idea work? Ya might say so. 28 years later the poster is still being sold along with other festival promotional pictures.
So ... what does that tell you?
JB

1 comment:

Lefty Sloane said...

Even though the photo you posted wouldn't open for me, I remember it well. I think it is engrained on everyone who ever saw it. A wildly successful poster.
But, maybe a new generation will see it now!