Monday, May 19, 2008

My Life As A Movie

I value my friends. Most are involved in the Arts in one manner or the other.

All are unique. One such friend is Dan, who - on a bet- watched a thousand movies in one year. He later wrote a school report on his venture, and I thought it was interesting. How many people could or would attempt such a thing? So here are a (very) few highlights from his report. Enjoy.

-0-

One thousand movies in one year. It is such a mind boggling feat to attempt. With the average length of a movie standing at 1 hour and 45 minutes, that comes out to be about twenty percent of an entire year. Given that most people sleep for at least a quarter of a day, watching movies for a little less than a quarter of a day is a rather sizable chunk.

Devoting one’s year mostly to watching movies could be considered a strange thing, but the oddest thing was that a few of the movies I watched coincided with what was going on in my life.

Four months in, I was Harry Burns from When Harry Met Sally.







I was the Man with No Name in A Fistful of Dollars. Like them, I was a mercenary for hire.



I was at movie five hundred. I was over the hump. It could only go downhill from here.

I was Woody from Toy Story. No, I wasn’t a toy nor was I a cowboy.






I finished my one thousandth movie a week before my year was up. It ended with my favorite movie of all time, Pulp Fiction.






Now that I was done, I had all the free time in the world. I literally didn’t have to watch three movies a day anymore. I could hang out with friends more, play the video games that have been piling up, or even catch up on the music that I have missed. I just didn’t know what to do with my time, so I decided do the one thing that I wasn’t able to do for that entire year. This was something that I really wanted to do. So I did it.

I decided to watch The Sting.





No comments: