Saturday, October 17, 2009

A puzzle laid out

I’ve learned that evenings are a good time for writing. I don’t know, maybe the darkness brings out the more mellow tendencies of my nature – if I can’t see the raw world, it’s not there. Is it that way with you?

Today was not a good day. It wasn’t a bad day, in that nothing occurred that would have triggered genuine loss. But it wasn’t a good day.

There are days when I can avoid being influenced by those individuals who are profoundly shallow and self-serving. There are days when I can actually avoid thinking about beloved projects I know I’ll never finish. There are days when the mere act of breathing doesn’t involve rasping dull pain.

Obviously, today wasn’t one of those days.

Two unrelated events occurred today which guided me unknowingly into this present reverie. Then again, perhaps, like Greek tragedy, nothing is perchance, nothing is unrelated.

I got an email today from Lenore P., casual, an everyday event – “let’s get together for lunch soon.”

Let’s get together for lunch. We WERE at lunch, my dear! Don’t you remember?! You were wearing that purple thing, sitting across from me in the little Armenian Restaurant downstairs from my apartment. Don’t you remember? If you’ll give me a moment, I can tell you what we had to eat. Greek salad for me, and a cold pasts dish for you. And we were in school together. College. It was May, I’m pretty sure. And warm. In 1959 the month of May was warm in Bloomington Indiana.

The second event was a comment aimed at my friend Julie’s latest blog. The post was on fear as a part of life, and the comment was, “The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly for newer and richer experience.”

I think all my realizations today have intelligent design behind them. A puzzle is laid out before me, if I have wit to see it .

Good thing I like puzzles.
jb

2 comments:

Lefty Sloane said...

Liking this a lot.
Like seeing the man in your animations change. Fun

from the royal fortress meadow said...

How's the puzzle coming? To me it seems like it's about time and doing what we love with it.

But I could be mistaken.
KP